To resolve slow Internet speeds, first try restarting your router. This resolves most connection issues. To restart your router, unplug its power cord and wait 1 minute before plugging it back in. The LAN light should be green or blinking green. Now try again to connect to the Internet. Be sure to watch the How to Restart Your Router video.
If your connection is still slow:
- Check your computer for viruses, spyware or a full hard-drive. Use the virus protection software available from Frontier Secure, or another program, to remove viruses or spyware from your computer or remove programs from your computer.
- Don't try to do everything at once. If you are streaming several videos simultaneously, or if several devices in your household are downloading files, it could cause your connection to slow down. If you are a FiOS® customer, FiOS® TV Video-on-Demand ("VOD") service shares capacity on the fiber optic connection to your home. The capacity available for your FiOS® Internet access service may be reduced if you're watching multiple FiOS®; TV VOD titles simultaneously.
- Clear the cache of temporary files in your web browser. See the videos and read detailed instructions in the Clear My Browser article.
- Check for interference. Electronic devices (i.e., TVs, microwaves, baby monitors) or physical obstructions (i.e., walls or floors) could cause interference with your router's signal. Other things that can limit speeds on wireless devices are:
- Distance from the Broadband Home Router (BHR)
- The limitation of your wireless device. (Devices like tablets have limitations.)
If you think your Internet connection is too slow, check your speed using http://frontier.com/speedtest. This tool is the preferred method of testing speeds within the Frontier High-Speed Internet Network, as it does not pass traffic off of our network, thus providing you the speed of our network. This eliminates the chance of any Internet slowdowns affecting your test results.
Note: When you are running a speed test on your iPhone or iPad, you may need to turn off Cellular Data to get an accurate reading from the DSL network.