There are actions that you can take against spam or junk mail:
- If the message that you're receiving contains text along the lines of "click here to be removed from this list"— it is up to you to decide whether or not you unsubscribe or remove yourself from the mailing list.
There are two schools of thought on sending an unsubscribe email. One thought is that by sending the unsubscribe email, you've merely validated your email address in the eyes of the bulk mailer. This can, in turn, allow the bulk mailer to add your email address to other bulk mailing lists. The other thought on sending an unsubscribe email is that it actually does help to reduce the amount of spam messages that you receive.
- Log into your Frontier, FrontierNet, Citlink/CTAZ, Newnorth, Epix, or GVNI email account and take advantage of Frontier Anti-Spam.
- If you are a Frontier High-Speed Internet subscriber, consider installing Frontier Internet Security, our security suite that contains an anti-spam component, along with anti-virus and anti-spyware.
Frontier Internet Security software is:
- Available at a rate of $2.99/month for High-Speed Internet customers on a Month to Month billing plan.
- An optional add-on at a rate of $2.99/month for High-Speed Internet customers in a Price Protection Plan.
- Free to High-Speed Internet Max customers with a Digital Phone package in a Price Protection Plan.
- You can mark an email message in your inbox as Junk or Spam, and even prevent future spam from arriving. See the Handle Spam in My Email section at the bottom of this article.
* You must be on the Frontier network in order to access the Frontier Account Editor. If you are in a hotel or at the office, you may not be able to access the Frontier Account Editor.
Believe it or not, there are some anti-spyware programs out there that you should definitely avoid. You can find out which ones at www.spywarewarrior.com.
One of the most important things you can do to protect your computer and the data on it from hackers, viruses, worms, and other malware is to keep your system software up to date by running Microsoft's Windows Update feature. Windows Update is the mechanism by which Microsoft provides updates to its operating systems, distributing service packs and critical updates that either fix problems in Windows, or protect against known vulnerabilities in Windows or Internet Explorer.
You should run Windows Update and download all available critical updates at least once a week, or configure Windows Update to run automatically. Another easy way you can update your software is to click the Start button, All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
Important Note: Frontier is not responsible for installing Windows Update on your computer, or any issues your computer may encounter after running a Windows Update.
Anti-virus protection is important—it detects and removes viral threats. However, your computer can be infected with other dangers such as spyware. Anti-spyware software is designed to stop these threats, which have unique properties that can remain hidden on your computer and cause havoc. Frontier Secure® Computer Security combines anti-virus and anti-spyware forces, while detecting and removing a wide range of viruses and spyware threats.
One way viruses can make it onto your computer is through an open proxy. A proxy server is a go-between computer that operates between your computer and a main computer. It can store information and filter transmissions from the Internet or a network you are linked to.
An Open Proxy is another matter—it's a proxy that allows your computer to connect with virtually anybody. This can result in a malware attack on your computer in the form of a virus or worm that can damage or destroy your computer or spyware that can access your personal information. If you don't know whether proxy software is installed on your PC, be sure to perform updates to your PC's anti-virus and anti-spyware software on a regular basis.
Frontier Secure® Computer Security is composed of anti-virus and anti-spyware products.
With regard to Computer Security, anti-virus, and anti-spyware, we will assist you in…
- investigating the presence of a virus, worm, or Trojans on your computer
- insuring that your computer is protected with anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- installing anti-virus and anti-virus software
- running live updates or updating virus definition files
- the removal of viruses, worms, or Trojans
…from infected computers that are under your control and have Computer Security, anti-virus, and anti-spyware installed. (Please note: If you are not using or are unable to use Computer Security, anti-virus, and anti-spyware, Frontier is not responsible for the foregoing assistance unless you have purchased a service through ;Frontier Secure. We strongly recommend that you install and maintain virus protection software and run and install all critical Windows updates).
If you are not a Frontier High-Speed Internet customer or, if for any reason you are not using or are unable to use Computer Security, anti-virus, and anti-spyware, your best defense against viruses is to make sure you have a current version of anti-virus and anti-spyware software installed and enabled. If your computer becomes infected and must be cleaned, there are several anti-virus and anti-spyware companies and their web sites (listed below) offer instructions on how to remove viruses from your system.
To properly handle spam when it is downloaded through a computer-based email program (such as Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Mac Mail, etc.) as opposed to viewing your email in a web browser (such as you may do with your Frontier Webmail or Gmail):
- Go to webmail.frontier.com and log in with your email address and password.
- Once logged in select Options from the upper left hand corner.
- Select Mail Options from the drop-down menu.
- Select POP & Forwarding on the Mail Options screen.
- Select the option that works best for you. We recommend the "Don't download spam email" option. Should you ever suspect you are "missing" any email, check your spam folder within Frontier Webmail.