To meet the growing demand for new telephone numbers, the 680 area code will be added to the area now served by 315 (e.g., Syracuse, Utica and Watertown, NY). This "area code overlay" will not change your existing area code.
|New Dialing Procedure
- When calling a number within your own 315 region, dial ten digits: 315 plus the telephone number. Up until February 11, 2017, if you forget and dial only seven digits, your call will still be completed. As of that date you must dial all ten digits or your call will not be completed. A recording will instruct you to hang up and dial again.
- Starting March 11, 2017, new telephone lines or services may be assigned numbers using the new 680 area code. All calls made within and between area codes 315 and 680 must be placed using the ten-digit telephone number (315 or 680 plus the seven-digit telephone number).
- Reprogram any equipment that stores frequently called local numbers so that it dials all ten digits. This includes life safety systems or medical devices, PBXs, fax machines, dialup Internet modems, alarm and security systems or gates, speed dialers, mobile phones, call forwarding settings, voicemail services, and similar functions.
- Update your website, stationery, advertising materials, bank checks, contact information, and your personal or pet ID tags to include the area code.
|What Will Not Change
- Your telephone number, including current area code.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services.
- Whatever is considered a local call now will still be a local call.
- Continue to dial 1 + area code + telephone number (eleven digits) for calls to area codes other than 315 and 680.
- In an emergency simply dial 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 services are currently available in your community, no extra digits are needed.
Call Frontier Communications at 1.800.921.8101 or visit the New York Public Service Commission's web site.