Note: The following instructions are specifically designed for configuring Linksys routers that have been purchased from Frontier.
If you have a Linksys router that has not been purchased through Frontier, these instructions may not be applicable, dependent upon your particular Linksys router; contact Linksys for further information.
To configure your Linksys router to access your wireless network:
- Open a web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox) and go to the web address: http://192.168.1.1
- You will be asked to enter both a username and password. By default, the username and password are both "admin".
- Once you are logged into the Linksys router ► Click the link labeled "Wireless".
- The heading of "Wireless" will be highlighted and just below it will be a purple line with additional links ►Click the "Wireless Security" link.
- Below the "Wireless Security" link, you will see an option for Security Mode. By default, it is set as "Disabled" ► Click the drop-down menu for a list of options; we recommend that you use WEP.
- Now, more fields will appear below the "Security Mode" field. You will be asked for a "Default Transmit Key". Leave this set to "1" for convenience, but if you would like to select another key, you may.
- In the next field labeled as "Passphrase", type in a password for the router to use ► Click "Generate", and keys will be created in the fields below the "Passphrase" field.
- Select one of the keys write it down and save it. This is the key that will allow a computer to access your wireless router.
- After writing down the key ► Click "Save Settings". This will enable wireless security. If you are using a wireless connection at this time, your connection will drop.
- You will now need to configure your wireless computer to connect to your Linksys router. For instructions, go to your computer manufacturer's web site or visit the FAQs found here.