To fix an Internet connection problem that was not resolved by restarting your router, try releasing and renewing your IP address. On a Windows computer:
- Click Start > Run and type cmd in the Open field, then press Enter. (If prompted, select Run as administrator.)
- Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
- Type exit and press Enter to close the window.
If trying to release and renew your IP address causes an error message:
|Windows XP or Vista||Follow instructions from the Microsoft Knowledge Base.|
|Windows 7 or later||
- Your problem may be caused by spyware. For help, see Take Action.
- In some circumstances customers—typically business customers—need to have a static IP address rather than a dynamic one. If you would prefer to have a static IP address, chat with us or give us a call.