Want to get the best performance from your wireless network? Here are some easy things you can do.
- Understand the Equipment You Have: Your Frontier equipment includes a combined High-Speed Internet modem and wireless router. Each of your wireless devices—smartphones, computers, tablets, watches and any smart home devices—will access the internet through your router/modem.
- Prevent Signal Interference: Wireless signals travel through the air. Don't let anything get in their way.
- Building construction: Your Internet reception differs throughout your house. Your wireless signal may be reduced if your house has metal studs or plaster walls with a wire mesh inside. Place your router off the floor, as high as possible, and near the center of your home.
- Other Devices: Appliances, such as microwave ovens and cordless phones, can cause electromagnetic interference, hurting your wireless signal. Place your wireless router at least 10 feet from this equipment.
- Stay Secure: Protect your network from intruders. When you configure your router, choose the option to enable encryption.
- Increase Your Coverage: If your home has many hard-to-reach dead areas, try using a wireless extender.
- Check for Compatibility: Wireless devices use many different protocols for connectivity. Your Frontier router can work with all modern wireless standards including 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac. The router’s firmware is updated regularly and automatically. You don’t have to do anything.
- Access your internet service outside on your porch. Place your wireless router near a window.
- Keep your devices current. An updated computer or device will work better with your wireless network. Newer operating systems have features and setup wizards made for home networking.
Frontier's customer service supports any equipment provided to you by Frontier. If you change your router, for example, to equipment not provided by Frontier, contact the manufacturer for help.