To fix an Internet connection problem that was not resolved by restarting your router, try releasing and renewing your IP address.
Before you begin:
If you have no connection, check to see if there is a service outage in your area.
Enter your billing telephone number below.
Billing Telephone Number
On a Windows computer:
Click Start > Run and type cmd in the Open field, then press Enter. (If prompted, select Run as administrator.)
- Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
- Type exit and press Enter to close the window.
If trying to release and renew your IP address causes an error message on Windows 7 or later:
- Click Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter to launch command screen.
- Type netsh winsock reset catalog and press Enter.
- Type exit and press Enter to close window.
- Reboot your computer.
On a Macintosh computer:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Network from the View menu.
- Select Wi-Fi, then click the Advanced button in the lower-left hand corner of the screen.
- Select the TCP/IP tab from the top of the screen.
- Click Renew DHCP Lease and click OK.
- Your problem may be caused by spyware. For help, see Get Rid of Spyware & Internet Spam.
- In some circumstances customers—typically business customers—need to have a static IP address rather than a dynamic one. If you would prefer to have a static IP address, chat with us or give us a call.