To get started using Frontier Mail, read the following sections. You can always skip a section and come back later when you need additional help.
To access your Frontier Mail account:
- Go to login.frontier.com/webmail/.
- Enter your complete Frontier, FrontierNet, Citlink, Newnorth, Epix, or GVNI email address and password and click Login.
- Click Mail to view your Inbox.
To open an email, click either the sender's name or the subject. To return to your Inbox once you have read your email, click the Inbox link and you can view your other messages.
To create and send a new email message:
- Click New under the Mail tab and select Message. A new message window will appear.
- Enter the address of the recipient into the To: field or click the To: button to access your Address Book. Then click to select the recipient's address. If you are sending your message to multiple recipients, follow the same procedure to enter more addresses into the To: field or the Cc: or Bcc: fields.
- Type the topic of your message in the Subject field and type your message in the Text window below.
- Click Send.
To attach an image to your new email message:
- Click New under the Mail tab and select Message. Compose a message as you normally would.
- To add an attachment to the message, click Add Attachment above the To: field. An Attach Files(s) window will appear in front of your message window.
- Click the Browse button. This will bring up the directory of files in your computer (or a removable disk that you specify). Then double-click the file of your choice to attach it to the email message.
- Click Send and the message with your attachment will be sent.
Note: An attachment can be any type of file on your computer, such as photos, sound files, video files, text or graphics files, but it should not be larger than 2–3 megabytes (MB) in size.
If you are forwarding an email with an embedded image (an image that you can see in the message, rather than an attachment), and you want that image to show, you'll need to change one of three possible default settings in Frontier Mail.
- While logged into Frontier Mail click Preferences, then click Composing located on the left-hand side of the window.
- Perform one of the following options on the Composing tab:
- Change Compose As Text to Compose As HTML.
- Place a checkmark in the box to the right of Reply/Forward using the format of the original message.
- Change Forward: When forwarding an email: from Include original message to Include original message as an attachment.
- Click Save.
To delete a message in your Inbox (or any other folder in Frontier Mail), place a checkmark in the box to the left of the message you want to delete. Click the Trash Can icon located just above the email messages. The messages you delete are moved to your Trash folder and will stay there for seven days unless you empty the trash.
To empty the Trash folder:
- Right-click the Trash Can icon and select Empty Trash, or
- Click to place a checkmark in the box to the left of each message in the trash and click the Trash Can icon, or
- Do nothing at all. Messages left in the trash for more than seven days will be deleted automatically.
You cannot recover messages after they have been removed from the Trash folder.
An email signature is a tagline, or your name and contact information that can be added to the end of your outgoing email messages automatically. This eliminates the need for you to type the same information each time you send a message. To create a signature for your Frontier Mail account:
- Log in to Frontier Mail and click the Preferences tab.
- Click Signatures located below Mail on the left-hand side of the window.
- Enter a name for your signature (such as "my signature") if you prefer not to use Default Identity.
- Enter the contents of your signature as you wish it to appear on your email messages and click Save.
- Click Accounts on the left-hand side of the screen and click to select the account to which you wish to assign a signature.
- In the Persona Settings section of the page, select your desired signature from the Signature drop-down menu, and then click Save.
Your address book is a place to store contact information for everyone you might send an email to. The instructions below will help you with each function of your address book, from creating an entry, to updating an entry, to using lists and groups.
Don't feel overwhelmed! You may not need the more advanced features. If you have an address book already, and you'd like to use it with Frontier Mail, click Import An Address Book below. If a friend has sent you an email, and you want to add that friend to your Address Book, click Save Sender to Address Book below. If you'd like to add a contact manually, click Add & Edit Contacts below.
To use your Frontier Mail Address Book when sending an email message:
- Click the New drop-down menu and select Message.
- Click the To: button to access your Address Book.
- Click the name of the person you want to send a message to and click either To:, CC:, or BCC:.
Note: The instructions below assume that you are already logged in to Frontier Mail.
To manually add a new contact to your Address Book:
- Click the Address Book tab.
- Click the New drop-down menu and select Contact.
- Enter the first and last names and full email address of your contact.
- Click Save.
- Repeat Steps 3–4 for each person you wish to add to your Address Book.
To edit an existing contact in your Frontier Mail Address Book:
- Click the Address Book tab and click the name of the contact that you want to change.
- Click the Edit button and change the information as needed, then click Save.
To view your complete Frontier Mail Address Book, simply click the Address Book tab and click All. The entire contents of your Address Book will be displayed.
If you receive an email and you want to save the sender's name and email address to your Address Book:
- Click Mail and click the message from the person whose email address you wish to add to your Address Book.
- Within the message window, click the icon that looks like a person with a green plus sign. This takes you to your Address Book where you can enter the person's information.
- Click Save.
If you have been using another email program and would like to bring its address book into Frontier Mail, follow these instructions. (Note: These instructions are written for Outlook Express but may be similar to several other email programs.) In your other email program:
- Click File > Export > Address Book.
- Select Text File and click Export.
- In the CSV Export window click Browse and select Desktop.
- Save the file as filename.csv and click Next.
- The fields that you will be able to import will already be selected for you. If there are some fields you don't want to keep, remove the checkmark found to the left of any field name.
- Click Finish and close the Address Book Export Tool.
- In Frontier Mail, click Preferences and select the Import/Export option on the left-hand side of the window.
- Click Browse in the Import section of the page.
- Locate the filename.csv file that you saved to your desktop earlier and click File > Open > Import. You should see a message indicating your contacts have been successfully imported.
- Click Address Book to see your imported contacts.
If you've created an Address Book in Frontier Mail that you'd like to use with another email program, here's how to export your Address Book:
- Click Preferences > Import/Export.
- Select Contacts as the item to be exported and click Export.
- A pop-up window will ask you if you want to save or open the file. Choose Save.
- Save the file to your desktop under the default name. Now you will be able to import your saved Address Book into your desired email program. Consult the Help function of your email program if you are not sure how to import your contacts.
A group list, also called a distribution list, categorizes email addresses in your Address Book so that you can send an email to an entire group at the same time.
To create a group list in your Frontier Mail Address Book:
- Click the Address Book tab and click the New drop-down menu, then select Contact Group.
- Enter a name for the group on the left side of the screen. On the right side of the screen, click a contact you wish to add to your group, then click Add. Repeat for each contact you wish to add.
- Click Save.
- Your new group will now appear in the contents of your Address Book. You can either click All or type the beginning letter of the group's name to view the group.
Some people find it easier to quickly find a contact in their Address Book if the names are sorted alphabetically by lastname. To change your Frontier Mail Address Book from firstname/lastname to lastname/firstname format, you will create a temporary address book, export your current one to edit it, then import your new Address Book:
- Select the Address Book tab and click New Address Book.
- Enter a name for the new Address Book. This will become a backup copy of your original contact list, so you may want to keep that in mind when you are naming it. Click OK and your new Address Book has been created.
- Click Preferences > Address Book and in the Export section, select csv, then click Export.
- Select Contacts (in gray), click OK > Save.
- Save the file to your Desktop and click Close.
- Go to the Import section of Preferences and click Address Book > Browse.
- Select the Contacts.csv file on your Desktop and click Open > Import .CSV file.
- Click the new Address Book that you created earlier to select it. Click OK and your original contacts will be imported to the new Address Book.
- Select the Address Book tab and click your Contacts folder (in gray).
- Select each address book entry by placing a checkmark in the box beside the entry's name.
- Click Delete. (Note: You need to do this so you can place your "improved" contact list in the Contacts. If you don't do this, you'll have duplicate entries.)
- Open up the Address Book located on your Desktop—it will open in Excel or another type of spreadsheet software—and delete the fileAs column. Review the data in the column labeled firstName. If you find that a first name is missing, enter it in the corresponding cell. If the entire firstName column is missing, add the column between email and fullName. Save the spreadsheet as a .csv file to your Desktop.
- In your Frontier Mail account click Preferences > Address Book and in the Import section click Browse.
- Select the Contacts.csv file on your Desktop and click Open > Import.CSV file.
- Click Contacts (in gray—it will be empty), then click OK.
- Click the Address Book tab and select your Contacts folder. Your contacts should appear.
- If your contacts aren't already in alphabetical order by last name, click All.
- If your contacts are now filed properly, delete the original contact list (the Address Book you created earlier) by right-clicking the folder and selecting Delete.